Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

You Say Tanita

I went to see my weigh-loss consultant yesterday and she tells me the scale is broken and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. 


Because one scale may not be calibrated the same as the other, if you weigh in on this scale one day and that scale another day, you may not get accurate readings.


This particular scale is a very complicated piece of equipment called a Tanita (ta-NEE-da). And if you think your bathroom scale is an in-your-face-know-it-all, you should try stepping on one of these babies. The Tanita scale does not just report your body weight. Among other things, it can report, fat percentage, muscle mass, BMI, BMR, (PMS?) and total body water. If for example, you are not drinking your 64 oz's of water daily, this contrary little contraption will rat you out faster than you can retain counsel


And it gets worse! A few seconds after you step on, it begins to spew a detailed printout of the sad state of your physique into the eager hands of your consultant. Trust me. The second you step off this thing, you have no secrets left. It does everything but check your pockets for candy bars. 

"So now what?", I ask. She informs me that she has a new scale arriving in a matter of minutes that will work until the Tanita is repaired.  In the meantime she has me step on a bathroom scale that is used as standby. Now I'm feeling pretty good about this standby because it shows of weight loss of 3 pounds. And while I haven't earned a performance from Sebastian the dancing, singing crab, I'm good with 3 pounds in 5 days.


I am inches from a clean get-away when one of the staff arrives with the new and improved temporary scale."Let's try this one",my consultant says. So I hop on and WHAT?  It indicates a loss of 2.5 pounds instead of 3. "Did you record the 3 pounds my chart?" I ask. As soon as she nods, yes, I say,"Okay. 3 pounds it is!"


So, as of day 16, I have lost a total of 7.5 pounds.


That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

2 comments:

  1. Haha...oh you have missed your calling girl!!! or maybe it is yet to come!! congrats on 7.5!! You look fabulous!!!! Don't get fixated with the #'s..just look in the mirror!
    KD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo-hoo!! You're picking up momentum now. I love that the Tanita does "everything but check your pockets for candy bars." Very funny. As if you'd be dumb enough to keep them in your pockets and risk adding extra weight. That's what your purse is for!! ha ha. Keep up the great work (diet and blog). It is so enjoyable to read.

    La la

    ReplyDelete